The 2020 student application for 6th grade students will be available in January. A link to the application will be posted here once it is available.
Each spring, Breakthrough admits approximately 35-40 sixth grade students into its program geared toward college entrance. The process is competitive and not all applicants are guaranteed acceptance. Sixth grade is the only entry point for students into the program, and only Manchester students are eligible to apply. Demand from students in the Manchester school district alone consistently exceeds the program’s capacity and results in the competitive application process.
- express a desire to earn a college degree and are supported by their family in this ambition
- are academically motivated
- demonstrate potential for further academic success
- and are committed to involvement with Breakthrough for three years
Special consideration is given to students who meet two of the following criteria:
- will be the first generation in their family to earn a four-year college degree in the U.S.
- are eligible for federal free or reduced lunch
- identify as an underrepresented racial or ethnic minority in New Hampshire
- speak a language other than English at home
- live in a single-parent, grandparents, foster parents or other non-traditional head of household
Breakthrough visits all four of Manchester’s sixth grade, public school classrooms in January each year to encourage students to apply. In a typical application season, these are the steps students and families must complete in order to apply for Breakthrough:
Step One: Interested students can request an application from their school counselor or download it here once available. Parts of the application need to be completed by the student and the student’s family, teachers, and guidance counselor. The application deadline on February 20th, 2020.
Step Two: Student applicants are required to attend an interview session after school or in the evening with their parents or guardians. These sessions are scheduled during the last week in March, and applicants will be notified by mail of the time and location of their interview session.
Students will receive their admission notification letters during April vacation.
2020 student application