Become A Student
A Sneak Peek at a Breakthrough Summer
There is nothing else quite like Breakthrough – check out this video to get a taste of the Breakthrough spirit in a typical summer!
- In 6th grade?
- Interested in attending college?
- Academically motivated and ready to explore your potential for further success?
- Committed to staying involved with Breakthrough learning and fun for three years?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, Breakthrough is the program for you! Breakthrough offers challenging academics, positive relationships with peers and teachers, and the high energy of summer camp. Breakthrough is not only a multi-year academic program, but also a close community of teachers and learners.
What is Breakthrough?
Breakthrough is a 6-year, tuition-free college access program!
Breakthrough students attend three Breakthrough summers as rising 7th, 8th, and 9th graders! They take academic classes to help prepare for the year ahead as well as extracurricular classes including sports, arts, language, music and more. Every week there is something fun and exciting like the BTM Olympics, Grade Level Challenge Field Trips, and a college visit to Boston! Your classes are taught and led by college and high school students who also serve as your advisors to support you through the summer.
During the school year, 7th and 8th graders will attend five Super Saturdays where they will enjoy enrichment classes.
Once in 9th grade, students enter the College Bound Program at Southern New Hampshire University! Students meet once a month and have a dedicated advisor who will support them through high school and beyond. They take workshops ranging from Study Skills and College Essay Writing to fun extracurriculars like the Science of Paper Airplanes and Origami!
Please fill out a paper copy of the application and return to the Breakthrough Office or your School Counselor. The School Counselor at all four middle schools have copies of the application! If you would rather fill out the application online, click the application link at the top of this page!
To be eligible to apply for Breakthrough, you must be a 6th-grade student in the Manchester area. All applications are considered, however, priority is given to those who meet at least two of the following criteria:
- The first generation to attend college
- Identify as a student of color
- Qualify for free or reduced lunch
- Speak a language other than English at home
- Non-traditional head of household
In January 2023, Executive Director Deb McLoud and Program Director Caroline Wilson will be visiting the four Manchester middle schools to share information and applications. Be on the look out and have your questions ready!
As a Breakthrough student, you will:
- Improve your reading, writing, science and math skills through rigorous courses to give you a jumpstart on your next year of school
- Develop public speaking, leadership, time management, and advocacy skills
- Have energetic high school and college students as your teachers!
- Visit many colleges and go on exciting field trips!
- Try new things and have new adventures!
- HAVE FUN!!!
If you have any questions about the application or Breakthrough, please email or call Caroline!!
Breakthrough Office Phone Number: 603-641-9426