School Year Teaching Internship
The application to teach in the Super Saturday school-year program is now open! The deadline to apply is November 4. Scroll down this page for more information on the application process and for the link to apply.
Breakthrough’s Super Saturday “College-Bound” program occurs four times during the school year. Teacher interns and professional staff reinforce academic skills for seventh, eighth and ninth graders through rigorous classes and workshops. Teachers work in teams of two or three and may teach different kinds of classes such as:
- a skill-oriented class designed to develop academic and problem-solving abilities
- a college-bound class to research, understand and make presentations on topics related to the college planning process
- a discovery class developed by teachers based on personal interest and expertise
Breakthrough is one of the foremost opportunities for high school and college students to learn the foundational skills of teaching. As a Breakthrough teacher intern, you learn by doing; we teach you how to lead powerful lesson plans that activate learning and use effective teaching strategies to engage and motivate your students.
Who We Select
Breakthrough Manchester will select approximately 20 teacher interns for the Super Saturday program. Our competitive admission process is designed to select the most highly qualified candidates to participate in our teacher intern corps. All applicants must be between 16 and 22 years old and currently enrolled in an accredited high school or undergraduate college program. If you will turn 16 prior to April 2015, you are still eligible to apply.
Application and Selection Timeline:
October 20 – The School-Year Teaching application goes live
November 4 – The School Year Teaching application must be submitted online, and a transcript from your current school must be submitted by this deadline.
November 7 – All applicants are notified of their status; selected applicants will advance to the group interview.
November 18 OR November 20 – Selected applicants will participate in one of these required group interview dates from 6:00-8:00 pm at the Derryfield School. Group interviews include participation in a brief skit or Breakthrough cheer and the presentation of a 5-minute mock lesson. More information will be provided to selected applicants in advance.
November 25 – All applicants are notified of their status; selected applicants will be trained and will teach in Super Saturday sessions. See below for specific training and session dates. (Note: As part of the application process, all prospective teachers will be asked about their availability for all required dates through April.)
How We Train and Support You
As a teacher intern, you will participate in a multi-day, pre-service training especially designed for pre-professional teachers. In addition, periodic trainings and work-sessions support your ongoing learning and growth. We use the best research and educational practices to give you the strategies and resources you will need to be successful in your classroom. A professional instructional coach observes your classes, provides you with feedback, and helps you coordinate your curriculum. You do not need to have any prior experience teaching or taking classes in education. In fact, we encourage students who are pursuing non-teaching careers to apply.
Initial Orientation and Training Timeline:
All selected teachers, notified of their selection on November 25, will attend the three required training and orientation sessions at the Derryfield School prior to the first session with students.
Session 1: Wednesday, December 3 - 6:00-8:00 pm
Session 2: Saturday, December 6 - 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Session 3: Wednesday, December 10 - 6:00-8:00 pm
These trainings will provide you with essential teaching and classroom management techniques, introduce you to the culture of Breakthrough, orient you to a typical Super Saturday day and connect you with the students you will advise and teach between January and April.
After the required trainings above Super Saturday teachers should expect to devote approximately 40 hours to topic-specific training, practice and direct work with students between January and April. Attendance is required at all trainings and scheduled Saturday sessions; we recognize that most students have busy schedules during the year and we ask that you and your family make a good faith effort to make yourself available. Specific dates and times for Super Saturdays and topic-specific trainings are listed below for the 2014-2015 school year.
Topic training for SS #1 – Wednesday, January 7, 6:00-8:00 pm
Super Saturday #1 – January 10, 8:30-2:00 (Students attend 9:00-1:00)
Topic training for SS #2 – February 11, 6:00-8:00 pm
Super Saturday #2 – February 14, 8:30-2:00
Topic training for SS #3 – March 4, 6:00-8:00 pm
Super Saturday #3 – March 7, 8:30-2:00
Topic training for SS #4 – April 8, 6:00-8:00 pm
Super Saturday #4 – April 11, 8:30-2:00
Deciding to Apply
In 2014 applications will be available on October 20 and must be submitted with all elements by November 4. If you are interested in applying to teach at Breakthrough Manchester during the school year, these are the steps you need to follow:
- Carefully read the above instructions to apply, noting all dates and deadlines.
- We strongly encourage you to preview the entire online application first here SY Teacher Application Fall 2014 and to draft your responses prior to beginning the online application. Once you begin the online application, you must complete it in one sitting. The online application will ask you to complete sections as either a NEW or RETURNING (Summer or School-Year) Breakthrough teacher.
- When you have previewed the application and you feel prepared to answer each applicable section, enter and complete the online application here.
- Request a copy of your school transcript from your school’s registrar or secretary and have it sent to the Breakthrough office, either via email to email@example.com or via mail to 2108 River Road, Manchester, NH 03104.
- Prepare for and attend a Group Interview.
- Applicants will receive notification of their final admission status by November 25. We maintain a small waitpool in the instance that an accepted applicant turns down an offer.
Please note that the application process is competitive and not all applicants are guaranteed admission.