School Year Teaching Internship
Breakthrough’s Super Saturday program occurs four times during the school year. Teacher interns and professional staff reinforce writing and math skills for seventh, eighth and ninth graders through rigorous classes and workshops. Teachers work in teams of two or three and teach two separate classes:
- a skill-oriented class designed to develop academic abilities
- a college-bound class to motivate and prepare students regarding personal, academic and extracurricular choices to stay on track to college
Breakthrough is one of the foremost opportunities for high school and college students to learn the foundational skills of teaching. As a Breakthrough teacher intern, you learn by doing; we teach you how to lead powerful lesson plans that activate learning and use effective teaching strategies to engage and motivate your students.
Who We Select
Breakthrough Manchester will select approximately 30 teacher interns for the Super Saturday program. Our competitive admission process is designed to select the most highly qualified candidates to participate in our teacher intern corps. All applicants must be between 16 and 22 years old and currently enrolled in an accredited high school or undergraduate college program.
How We Train and Support You
As a teacher intern, you will participate in a multi-day, pre-service training especially designed for pre-professional teachers. In addition, periodic trainings and work-sessions support your ongoing learning and growth. We use the best research and educational practices to give you the strategies and resources you will need to be successful in your classroom. A professional instructional coach observes your classes, provides you with feedback, and helps you coordinate your curriculum. You do not need to have any prior experience teaching or taking classes in education. In fact, we encourage students who are pursuing non-teaching careers to apply.
Attendance is required at all trainings and sessions; we recognize that most students have busy schedules during the year and we ask that you and your family make a good faith effort to make yourself available. Specific dates and times are listed on the application.
Deciding to Apply
Applications are accepted each year during the month of September (please check the application itself for specific deadlines). If you are interested in applying to teach at Breakthrough Manchester during the school year, these are the steps you need to follow:
- Download and read all instructions to apply. Note that the instruction document includes information for applying to teach AND tutor.
- Complete the application online.
- Request a copy of your school transcript from your school’s registrar or secretary and have it delivered to the Breakthrough office.
- Teacher applicants: prepare for and attend the Group Interview on Wednesday, October 2, from 6:00-8:00pm. (Detailed instructions can be found in the link in #1 above.)
- Sign up for and complete your Individual Interview. You will choose a time for your Individual Interview on a subsequent day when you arrive at the Group Interview.
- Applicants will receive notification of their admission status by approximately October 18. We maintain a small waitpool in the instance that an accepted applicant turns down an offer.
Please note that the application process is competitive and not all applicants are guaranteed admission.